October 18, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Challenge

Happy Tuesday morning!

My bestie, The Scrapbooking Queen, is hosting a Breast Cancer Awareness challenge on her blog. She has received a ton of very beautiful cards from some amazingly talented ladies.

I told her that I would make some cards for the cause. In all honesty though, making encouraging cards for women with breast cancer,  has been a lot harder for me to do then I had expected...

This January will be the 9th anniversary of my mom's death, due to complications from Advanced (Metastic) Breast Cancer. I keep thinking about her and all the things that she went through... I keep thinking about how much has changed in the last nine years. It's so strange, how at times it seems like it was a lifetime ago and at other times it seems like it was just yesterday. As I type this, my 7 month old nephew, Zachary, is sitting in the bouncy seat next to me, playing with a toy and making happy sqeeling noises. It makes me so sad when I think about all the things that she has missed. I wish that she was here to rock and sing to him, read him books, smother him with kisses/love on him. It breaks my heart that he will never get the chance to know her and it makes me even more sad to think that I am not the only one who's mother, grandmother, aunts, cousins, and friends have died from this disease.

But... I pulled it together and made a card.
I gave her black hair in honor of my mom... she had the most beautiful black hair. 
I realize that this is not your traditional "encouragement"card. I wanted the card to be fun and since it is almost Halloween, I decided that a pink witch would be perfect.
The witch is a graphic from here that I converted in Make-the-Cut and then cut out on my Cricut. The paper is from the DCWV Black Currant stack and the ribbon and bling are from Michael's. I used the Princess Face Assortment stamps from Peachy Keen, for her face.
I hope that my card will bring a smile to someone's face. 
I know that it would have made my mom smile.