November 01, 2012

Dia de los Muertos

Happy Thursday!

Today is "Dia de los Muertos" or "Day of the Dead"  it is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it is a national holiday. The celebration takes place on November 1, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day (November 2). Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skullsmarigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. They also leave possessions of the deceased.

Although, I do not celebrate Dia de los Muertos, I have friends who do. I thought it would be fun to create Day of the Dead cards for them. Both cards were made with the Silhouette's print and cut feature.
The base of this card is from the Cricut Wild Card Cartridge. The yellow polka dot paper, the skull, and the banner are all graphic files from Lettering Delights.
The base of this card is a top note shape that I found online and converted into a svg and then into a card. The diamond paper, cat, and banner are all graphic files from Lettering Delights. I just love the white stitching on the black, don't you?
Card base: Cricut, Wild Card Cartridge
Skull & Banner Graphics: Lettering Delights, Sugar Skull Graphic set 
Digital paper: Lettering Delights, Sugar Skull Paper 
Card stock: DCWV and Recollection's
Crinkle Ribbon: Etsy

Card base: Top note shape welded together to make a card.
Cat & Banner Graphics: Lettering Delights, Sugar Skull Graphic set 
Digital paper: Lettering Delights, Curiouser and Curiouser 
Card stock: Recollection's

Although I love how both these cards turned out, I am still not a huge fan of the "print and cut" feature. It's a huge time saver and really easy to do, but I really like choosing the colors of the cuts and piecing the pieces together. I *heart* paper to much to be just a "print and cut" girl. :) I will say, that digital papers rock! Ah! One more thing to put on my "wish list".

Guess what!?!
Tomorrow is Friday! WooHoo!

I hope you have a wonderful day!