August 20, 2012

Cutting Edge Magazine and Back to School Week

Happy Monday!

Have you heard about the newest magazine solely devoted to svg's and digital cutting machines? 
For more information about the magazine, click here to go to their website. 

You can also find them (and like them) on Facebook, here. Free subscriptions will be given away when they reach 50 likes, 100, 200 and so on until September 1, 2012. Head on over and see what all the fuss is all about! 

I can't wait to see the 1st issue!

Now on to today's post...

  Since August is the month that most kids find themselves going back to school, I thought it would be fun to devote a week to inexpensive and easy gifts, for the teacher, for that 1st day of school. It's always fun to have a little something to hand the teacher on the way to your desk. :) 

I realize that for most families the whole "going back to school" thing isn't cheap. Between new clothes (uniforms for some), shoes, school supplies, back packs, books, ect... usually most families aren't thinking about teacher gifts. So, I decided to challenge myself  and find things at the dollar store that I could alter with supplies that I already had on had, in my craftroom. All of the projects/gifts that I will be showing you this week will cost under $5, most even less then that.

Ready to get started?

My project today is a pencil holder with a custom vinyl decal.
I found the glass vase at the 99cent store. It measures 3" x 6" tall. I use Make-the-Cut to design the custom vinyl piece. I sized it at 3 1/4", and then cut the design out of black outdoor vinyl. Once I had "weeded" all the extra vinyl off (so that the only vinyl left is the design), I applied transfer tape and then transferred the design to the front of the vase.

I filled my vase with pencils and added some ruler ribbon around the top, but how cute would this been full of school essentials? You could add pencils, pens, highlighters, and a ruler, all of these items can bet purchased at the 99cent/$1 store.
Glass vase: 99 cent store - $1
Font: Girls are Weird (free font)
Black Vinyl: Oh My Crafts (already had the vinyl in my stash)
Pencils: Wal-Mart -$2
Ribbon: Wal-Mart (Purchased last year for another project)

Total cost: $3

Everything was designed in Make-the-Cut and cut out on my Silhouette.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a fabulous day!